- MB ChB (UK)
- MRCPsych (UK)
- PG Dip. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (UK)
- Joining date 2014
Gira started working as a Mental Health Counsellor at IDL in October 2014.
Originally from Northamptonshire in the UK, Gira graduated in 1999 from Leeds University Medical School, UK, and is a qualified psychiatrist in the UK.
After completing her pre-registration internships, she worked in general and elderly care medicine in Leeds before commencing specialty medical training as a psychiatrist in London, UK.
During 10 years of training in psychiatry, she gained experience in Adult Psychiatry, Old Age Psychiatry, Perinatal Psychiatry, Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, Liaison Psychiatry and Psychotherapies. She acquired her MRCPsych in 2005.
In 2007, Gira acquired a postgraduate qualification in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy in London; and in 2010 a further postgraduate qualification in management for doctors from Leeds University. Gira became a consultant psychiatrist in 2012 and worked in the National Health Service in London.
She combined senior clinical responsibilities with active research interests, including a publication in the British Journal of Psychiatry and was formally recognized with an award for excellence in clinical teaching of Imperial College Medical students.
Although currently not registered with the Hong Kong Medical Council and not practicing as a psychiatrist in Hong Kong, Gira is registered with the General Medical Council (UK) and is a member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists (UK).
Gira's special practice interests have included:
• Mood disorders – depression, bipolar affective disorder
• Anxiety disorders – social phobia, panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder
• Work-related stress and adjustment disorder
• Mental health disorders related to physical illness
• Medically unexplained symptoms – chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia
• Interpersonal difficulties and self-harm
• Psychotic illnesses (e.g. schizophrenia, severe bipolar affective disorder)
• Pregnancy-related and postnatal mental health disorders
• Cognitive impairment and dementia
• Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
• Cognitive analytic therapy (CAT)
• Crisis intervention
• Mental health education and information
Gira moved to Hong Kong from London in 2013 with her husband and 6 year old son.
She enjoys cooking and keeping fit with yoga, Lagree fitness method and regular walks up the Peak.
Gira is a native English speaker and is also a near-fluent French speaker.
Gira is available for consultation by appointment at International Doctors Limited on Monday afternoon , Wednesday morning and Thursday afternoon. Skype / telephone consultations are also available by appointment. Please call 2537 7281.